Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Paper Players {15}: a color chalenge

Hi everyone!  I sure have missed blogland the last couple of weeks.  I checked my Google Reader today for the first time in a little over a week and found 765 posts...my gosh blogging stampers are a busy bunch!!   I am sorry that I haven't been able to check in with all of you and leave comments...it's been all I can do to keep up with my guest designer responsibilities!  OK, let me pull up my big girl pants and stop whining.  You came here to see a card for The Paper Players not to listen to me. :-)

The uber-talented Ann Schach is our challenge hostess this week and she has chosen a fabulous example of autumn inspiration with this beauty:
Isn't it pretty?!  With the challenge colors of Old Olive, More Mustard, Cajun Craze, and Early Espresso in mind here is what I came up with:

The idea of this tree has been kicking around in my head for awhile and the new 2.5" circle punch provided the perfect sized Old Olive circle on which to base my Early Espresso tree from Season of Friendship. I stamped the tree first on the Naturals Ivory cardstock then layered the OO circle on top and using my Stamp-a-ma-jig for alignment, stamped the tree again.  So, you're probably wondering where those little leaves came from?

They came from the Lattice die after it's been run through the Big Shot!  I have to give credit for this fabulous idea to one of my customers, Linda!  We made a card months ago with the lattice die and she saved all the little pieces that were left over knowing she would do something with them.  Months later she turned them into leaves for a paper tree she hand-cut herself.  How clever is that?!  


Notice that the Cajun Craze and More Mustard paper is textured?  First, I ran a solid piece of cardstock, large enough to cover the die cutting area, through the Square Lattice embossing folder.  This gives it that great texture.  Then I ran it through with the Lattice die, that's a lot of lattice isn't it, popped out the little almond shapes and attached them to my tree as leaves.  

I just received my packet of Autumn Spice specialty designer paper and it's gorgeous!  That's a bit of it peeking out underneath.  Lovely texture that matches the leaves.  I also couldn't resist the new vintage brads and a bit of linen thread.  All this texture and natural elements were inspired by this week's photo.  I hope that you will check out the rest of the creations at The Paper Players and come help us celebrate the beautiful colors of fall!  Until then...thanks so much for stopping by and...cheers!  

9/12/10 edit: I just discovered a new challenge blog for Stampin Up-only cards so I've entered this one!  If you're a SU devotee or even have enough supplies to make a SU only card, check it out here!

supplies:
stamps: season of friendship; falling leaves (sentiment)
ink: early espresso
paper: naturals ivory, more mustard, cajun craze, old olive cardstock & autumn spice specialty designer series paper
xtras: lattice die; square lattice embossing folder; lots of tags sizzlit; 2.5" circle punch; vintage brads; linen thread.

15 comments:

Christina said...

Actually, I stopped by to see your lovely card AND listen to you! *wink* Glad to see you back in blogland, as I have missed your creations. This one is so FUN and colorful! I love that whimsical tree and those adorable leaves. What a great way to make use of those little scraps!

Linda Callahan said...

You are crafty for sure - love the "scrappy" leaves! This is wonderful - the green circle is perfect behind the tree!

Ann Schach said...

Love it, Nance! The texture, the twine, and the antique brad are perfect details! Great job with the challenge colors! (And thanks for the shout out!)

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance, this is so crisp and clean just LOVE your little leaves. How clever is that, is right. (no waste no want my mom always said). I adore the vintage brad though, so cool with the little leaves on it as well... and the twine is the finishing touch. The DT must be so happy they chose you.Very, very nice.

Erin BH said...

How smart are you?? Love the leaves from the Lattice die. Super card!!

Deb said...

Thanks for playing along at the SUO Challenge! Great card...and I especially love the cute leaves. What a great idea for those little leftover scraps!

Anne Marie Hile said...

I just love your card and the wonderful way you used those "scraps" from the Lattice die. Such a fun idea! Have a great day! :)

jaydee said...

Nance, I love the way you used the colors. The leaves are perfection. The texture really helps to make them pop. Fabulous card
Hugs
Jaydee

jjcreations said...

Absolutely love how you created these leaves - awesome use of "scraps".

Lesley said...

Great job as usual Nance! I just love that you used the scraps to make the leaves...so clever!
Smiles,
Lesley

Melina said...

Beautiful card! Great way to use that die...I love it :)
Thanks so much for joining us at SUO Challenges! We hope to see you again soon!

Eileen Lang said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle Laycock said...

wow. This is very innovative. I've never seen the lattice die used this way. Love it. Excellent job!

Jenn Diercks said...

The tree is gorgeous. I love how you made your leaves and added the circle to the background. Thanks for playing along at SUO Challenges!

Cindy Major said...

You have a wonderful blog. I'm enjoying my tour so far! Love how you added textures to the leaves :)