Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Ornate Blossom for Color Dare: CD82

It's another week at The Color Dare and Riley has challenged us with some rich, yummy, saturated colors this week: 
CD82
Night of Navy
Daffodil Delight
Old Olive
Now, I have to admit that I was short on time with family visiting so my creative energy was low and time was short.  My card this week was heavily inspired by this fantastic card from Australian demonstrator, Danielle Daws.  I loved her use of the Ornate Blossom stamp and combined with this week's sketch at the Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenge, I created this:

I stamped the Ornate Blossom in the middle of my Old Olive panel and used my stamp-a-ma-jig to stamp the 4 other blossoms in each corner.  Looks a bit like a piece of damask wallpaper doesn't it?  I loved how Danielle incorporated a color underneath the scallop border punch.  At first, I thought it was just a strip of paper but I quickly realized that it would show beyond the scallops and I didn't want that so.....I punched a 1/2" circle of Daffodil Delight and attached it behind each scallop.  From the back, my Night of Navy border strip looked like this:

When I turned it over, wrapped it with some fabulous vintage seam binding and added a Daffodil Delight button, it looks like this:


Pretty isn't it?  I love this idea--wish I could say I thought of it!  Thanks Danielle!  It's a great way to incorporate a subtle addition of color.  And can you believe that seam binding?  I found a whole box of the real deal at an estate sale--various colors, mint condition, some still sealed...for $1!!!!  I know, amazing right?  And it's a perfect match for SU's Night of Navy!

Lastly, the sentiment from the level 2 hostess set, Apple Blossoms, was stamped in Night of Navy ink directly on some Greenhouse Gala DSP which just happens to be Daffodil Delight and repeats the Ornate Blossom shape.


Hope you'll pop on over to The Color Dare blog to see what fabulous creations the rest of the design team has for you.  You're sure to find something that will inspire you to take the Dare.  Here's the rest of the design team:
supplies:
stamps: ornate blossom; apple blossoms
ink: old olive, night of navy
paper: old olive, night of navy, daffodil delight CS; greenhouse gala dsp
xtras: wide oval punch; scallop trim border punch; vintage seam binding; brights designer buttons

11 comments:

Lesley said...

This is beautiful Nance. I love that ornate flower...you are such an enabler!! The colours are beautiful, I hope I can play along this week. I am inspired by this beauty!
Smiles,
Lesley

Christina said...

What wonderful, rich colors this week! Your scalloped strip is fabulous with the yellow peeking through. I know what you mean about limited time and energy with family visiting! I still haven't recovered from last week! Hugs to you!

Nancy said...

Love the card Nance and such clever ideas, the color peeking through the scallop border, the DSP paper for the sentiment stamp to match your card base AND your bow, it's perfect!

Marisa said...

Love how you have the yellow peeking through the threading water punch! Great focal panel too. Wonderful work with this week's colours :)

Anne Marie Hile said...

Nance, I love this card and the fabulous color combo! Can't wait to play along this week. Such a great idea to give that "pop" of color behind the border and what a steal on the box of seam binding. Lucky! :)

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance great bold colors on this one. I too will jump on the bandwagon about the yellow peeking through the scallop trim border.

Danielle Daws said...

Gorgeous, Nance! I'm so flattered by your wonderful compliments! *blush* Daffodil Delight looks brilliant peeking through the Night of Navy border. It's a great way to add a little colour, isn't it? :-)

Nancy said...

CONGRATULATIONS Nance on being invited to be a permanent team member at Paper Players how exciting for you! Wahoo!! Your cards are so beautiful and enjoyed by many it is a well deserved honor. Your family is not surprised at all, but proud of your accomplishments. Have fun.
Luv, Mom

Marisa said...

Congrats on your DT Position, Nance!!! You go girl!! They are lucky to have you on board :)

Glenda J said...

You are so creative! I love all of your little details - perfection!

Charlene said...

Ohh I am so jealous of your seam binding find! That's so awesome! At first I thought you dyed the Vanilla seam binding from SU to match... AWESOME CARD!