Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Jolly Old Saint Nick: Paper Players {21}

Happy Sunday everyone!  It's another week at The Paper Players and we have a fun challenge for you this week.  Everyone likes to share recipes, right?  So this week, Ann has shared a favorite card recipe with us!  Your challenge is to use at least one of the following ingredients in your project:

one designer/patterned paper
one punch
one sentiment

Of course, you can use more but it must have at least those three items.  The Paper Players have cooked up some incredible inspiration to get your creative juices flowing!  Here's what I designed for you this week:


I really love this Santa--I love his retro look.  He reminds me of the Santa Claus of my childhood.  I stamped him onto Whisper White with jet black Stazon for a crisp image.  I used a blender pen and my ink pads to shade his beard (Sahara Sand) and his skin & cheeks (Pink Pirouette).  But the real fun was decorating his hat.

A little Silver Tinsel trim wrapped around a silver Glimmer Brad, gave instant pop to the pom-pom of Santa's hat.  Almost makes it looks like it is a shining ray of light, doesn't it?  I also colored his hat with a Real Red stampin' write marker.


And this picture shows just how sparkly the trim on Santa's hat is!  I filled it in with my 2-way glue pen and sprinkled Dazzling Diamonds over it.  Just love how dazzling it looks.  The sparkle behind Santa comes from a generous spritz of Shimmer Mist onto the Blushing Bride circle.

Once my card was laid out, the plain cardstock background seemed a little naked to me so I dug out a retired snowflake set, Snow Burst, and stamped one of the small snowflakes in Baja Breeze as a background to the sentiment.  I like repeating elements in my cards and I thought this little snowflake mimicked the silver tinsel to a tee!  I love the combination of this sentiment from the Just Believe set with Santa--it's absolutely perfect!  It's difficult to tell in the photo but the sentiment was stamped first in Versamark ink, then Garden Green, sprinkled with clear embossing powder and heat set.  It really makes the sentiment stand out.

I was having so much fun with this stamp set and the paper, that I had to play some more on the inside!  I love how Santa is winking at us over the DSP.  He was stamped in Garden Green with a Real Red sentiment and a sprinkling of Baja Breeze snowflakes all from the Jolly Old Saint Nick stamp set.

So, that's my interpretation of Ann's recipe challenge...are you up for it?!  We would love to see what you cook up for us!  Head over to The Paper Players blog to see what the rest of the team has made for you and to link up your creation.  We can't wait for you to join us!  Thanks so much for stopping by...have a great week!

supplies:
stamps: jolly old saint nick, just believe, snow burst
ink: baja breeze, real red, garden green, pink pirouette, versamark, jet black stazon, sahara sand
paper: baja breeze, whisper white, blushing bride, garden green, real red CS & candy lane specialty DSP
xtras: scallop ribbon border punch; dazzling diamonds; shimmer paint; clear embossing powder; silver tinsel trim; glimmer brads; real red stampin write marker

10 comments:

Nancy said...

Once again you're right, the retro Santa is adorable now that you decked him out. The sentiment must have been written for this stamps set too, it is perfect. The stamped snowflakes are just the right touch for the background paper, love the inside with Santa winking, so cute.

Christina said...

Love it, Nance! The pink color really adds to the retro feel, I think. I bet this is fabulously sparkly in person! I was thinking how perfect the background starbursts were to echo the tinsel on the hat. You're one smart (and creative) cookie!

Ann Schach said...

Fabulous, Nance! I love what you did with the pom-pom! My favorite detail is Santa just peeking over the border on the inside of the card...too cute!

Linda Callahan said...

This is wonderful! Santa needed your extra bling for sure~ and I agree with Ann - I love him peeking out inside the card! Your details are always terrific!

LeAnne said...

Okay, between you & Ann, I now definitely need to get this stamp.....love all your details and how Santa is peeking out over the DP on the inside!

Lesley said...

I love what you did with Santa!! He looks glorious all glammed up! Great idea with the glimmer brad and tinsel! Super cute!
Smiles,
Lesley

Anne Marie Hile said...

Nance, I love all of the amazing details you added to this one. That glimmer brad with the tinsel can only be described as FABULOUS! All the glitter and the shimmer really pop and your "peeping" Santa on the inside just makes me smile. So fun! Yup, this set is an absolute "must have"! :)

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance you completed this recipe in 'retro style' ... so darn cute! Don't have this set, but I Love that Santa. My favorite parts are the peeking Santa and his tassle on the front.

Julie Marshall said...

Love how you used the punch with the DSP. Very pretty! TFS.

Cindy Major said...

Fabulous card! I love the Santa-sentiment combo and how the Santa is peeking from behind the patterned paper inside the card :)