Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Easy Holidays {PP61}

Happy Paper Players Sunday, friends! Our talented team mate, Jaydee has a fabulous sketch for you this week:
I love this sketch and I think I will be using it a lot--thanks Jaydee!  Right away, it brought to mind tree ornaments and holiday cards so with the holiday season a mere two months away, I thought it was time to get started on my stash of Christmas cards!
I see that I wasn't the only team member who used this fun set called Easy Events!  The delicate spray of leaves and berries is so clean and I love that the sentiment is built right in for perfect alignment every time! The black card base has an extra layer of black that was embossed with the Vintage Wallpaper folder and spritzed with homemade Glimmer Spray.  The center panel is First Edition specialty paper trimmed with a sliver of Real Red punched with the scallop ribbon border punch.  I tucked some 1 1/4" Old Olive striped grosgrain ribbon under the embossed black panel at the bottom, tied it with some Very Vanilla seam binding ribbon and attached at the top with a big glue dot.  Attaching the ribbon to the extra layer of black cardstock saved me from wrapping it around the whole card front and saved quite a bit of ribbon!
The berry sprig was stamped onto Very Vanilla with jet Black Stazon and the leaves were colored with an Old Olive watercolor crayon.  I just bought my first set of these and I love that they come in each color family and give a watercolor effect without the water and no pilling of your paper!  My favorite detail though is the Basic Rhinestones colored with a red Sharpie marker.  Just color them right on the backing paper, wait a few seconds to make sure they are dry and peel them off as usual!  Such a great technique for making custom colored rhinestones.  (BTW, the wide tip Sharpies give the best coverage).  Wanna see a closer look?
Cute, eh?!  I haven't shown you the inside of a card in a while so I made sure to finish this one for you:
An Old Olive frame from Four Frames was the perfect companion to the sentiment from Petite Pairs.  So, friends, what do you think?  I'd love to hear from you.  Big thanks to all who continue to leave comments for me even though I haven't been 'round to visit lately.  Commenting has taken a back seat to the new school year, busy days at work, and a traveling husband!  I hope to get around to see you all soon--thanks for being patient with me! 

In the meantime, be sure to check out the fabulous inspiration from the rest of The Paper Players Design Team as we say goodbye to our Summer Designers, Lauri and Sandra as well as our August Guest Designer, Carrie.  They have been wonderful to work with and I'm so glad to have "met" them all.  If you decide to play along with us, and we hope you will, be sure to link up your creation to The Paper Players by Friday, September 2nd at midnight (PST).
The Paper Players Design Team
Photobucket
supplies:
stamps: easy events, four frames, petite pairs
ink: jet black stazon, old olive, real red
paper: basic black, real red, very vanilla CS; first edition specialty DSP
xtras: old olive 1 1/4" grosgrain ribbon; scallop ribbon border punch; circle scissors; very vanilla seam binding ribbon; watercolor crayons (brights); basic rhinestones; sharpie marker

21 comments:

None None said...

Nance, this is beautiful. I just love the First Edition DSP background. The main image really pops and now, I think I have to take a closer look at that set, hmm... :-) oh, and the inside of your card is awesome - love how you carried the details from the front all the way thru.

Lauri said...

What a beautiful clean and simple card! I love how you accented the image with the colored rhinestones! Thanks for all your help and inspiration during my stint on the PP!

Christina said...

What a classy color combo for the holidays! I never would have guessed that you colored your rhinestones--they are the perfect finishing touch. Love the text panel and gorgeous ribbon, too!

I hope life slows down for you soon!

Pam~ said...

I'm with you ... love those colored rhinestones! The big ribbon on your card adds so much flare ... beautiful! Love your layout ... must give this a try!

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance what a great card. The DSP is perfect and the touches of red really make things pop. Would never have guessed you colored the rhinestones were not red. LOVE your marker tips on the rhinestones (haven't tried that yet) and the added mat for the ribbon too - GREAT tip! It looks FABulous and love how you tied it off. Beautiful card. TFS Love tips and I plan to try both soon. Hugs

Marisa said...

This is fabulous, Nance! Love that wide striped ribbon and the touches of bling are perfect. Wonderful use of the sketch!

LeAnne said...

LOL, great minds think alike! I LOVE the red rhinestones...I need to remember that trick. Adds such a great dimension to your card!

Cindy Hall said...

Oh my gosh! This is a WOW! card! I love every last detail. Really gorgeous. Liker Christy, I think I need to take another look at the Easy Events stamp set... TFS!

Lesley said...

WOW! Love the rhinestone idea!!! Need more rhinestones now!!! Awesome card my friend.

Margaret said...

This is such a beautiful card! And what a great tip on the rhinestones! I must try this!!

Ann Schach said...

Oh so cute, Nance! I LOVE those red rhinestones... they are the perfect touch! This is such an adorable image from a fabulous stamp set!

Nancy said...

A gorgeous card love the circle with the red frame, the ribbon just tucked underneath and tied at the top with seam binding ribbon, so clever. What can I say about the rhinestones, they look as if they came that color & they just make the stamp image pop! And as always love the finished inside.
Luv,
Mom

Sandra said...

What a fatnastic Christmas card, Nance! I love the red rhinestone berries. Such a lovely touch!

Thanks for all you encouragement and support over the last 3 months. I've had so much fun!

Tara Bilbao said...

Nance, this is so beautiful. I love your choice of colors for a Christmas card - so unique. The little jewels really bring out the details of the stamped image. You are always so thorough with your cards and the inside details are alway as spectacular as the outside. I must take note of this. You are truly an inspiration.

Cindy Beach said...

So many great details in the lovely card, Nance! I love your ribbon treatment and ruby-colored rhinestones. Thanks for a neat tip!

Don't stress about leaving comments, with your days so busy. :) We have all enjoyed your kind and frequent comments, but we want you to take care of you.

Jodi said...

Such a great layout & it is perfect for a holiday card. I love what you came up. Thanks for the tip on the watercolor crayons. I have not used them yet, but it sounds like I need to give them a try since they sound easy to use.

Jean McKenzie said...

Gorgeous card Nance. That stamp set is high on my wish list when we can order!! Love your coloured rhinestones and how you have decorated the card inside as well!

Carrie Gaskin said...

Adorable Nance. What a great idea with the colouring of the Rhinestones - I've done brads but not rhinestones. You smartie pants you!

Linda Callahan said...

So sweet - love those custom rhinestones!

Anne Marie Hile said...

Nance, only YOU can take Newsprint and completely rock a holiday card! The colored rhinestones are such a fabby touch, too. Thanks for the inspiration to show some love to my neglected watercolor crayons, too. I need to use them more. As always, the inside of your card has so much great detail. After reding your post, you completely gave me another idea for this sketch, too. Nance, you always inspire me, my friend! (hugs) :)

Rosemary said...

beautiful card! love the ribbon treatment!