Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

In Celebration of Mothers {PP94}

Hi, friends! Oh, do we have a pretty challenge for you this week over at The Paper Players! I might be a little biased because I am this week's hostess, lol! It's a Theme Challenge with an inspiration photo from Pinterest. Take a look:
Isn't it lovely?  Birds, circles, flowers and woodgrain....ahh, happy sigh!  I took my inspiration from the photo quite literally and combined it with this great sketch from Retro Sketches.  I didn't have time to play along last week but this sketch is a keeper!  As are all their sketches, be sure to check 'em out!
I took a lot of cues from the inspiration photo, starting with the color palette of Crumb Cake, So Saffron, Blushing Bride with just a touch of Early Espresso.  To the first layer of Crumb Cake cardstock, I added the Woodgrain background stamp in Whisper White craft ink and sponged the edges with the same ink.  I added some Blushing Bride polka dot paper [retired] to echo the ceramic circle stands in the photo.  
I was saddened to see the Flower Burst embosslit on the Retired Accessories list--it's a favorite!  Before I ran the cardstock through the Big Shot with the embosslit, I sponged some coordinating ink directly onto the embosslit.  When run through the Big Shot the ink goes into the de-bossed areas and really makes the embossing POP!  For the Whisper White flower, I sponged Crumb Cake ink directly onto the embossed flower for a different look.  I completed the project with some Espresso Baker's Twine, Basic Pearls and a favorite sentiment from an oldie-but-goodie, Well Scripted [retired].

So, what do you think?  Wanna play along?  We would love to see your project in the gallery.  You have until Friday, May 11th at Noon (PST) to join us.  For even more inspiration, be sure to check out the rest of the Design Team...including our newest Guest Designer, Narelle.  Welcome, Narelle!
 
The Paper Players Design Team

Thanks for stopping by today...
 Photobucket

15 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

Wonderful card - for a wonderful mom for sure! The sketch is terrific and I adore the pop of the flowers! And don't think I didn't noticed how you flipped a flower over - such a sweet detail!

Nancy said...

Beautiful card, will I see it in person (hee-hee)! Right you are Linda I too noticed the flower flipped over to show the opposite side, very cute detail.
Luv,
Mom

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance so pretty. Love the woodgrain background and pearl centers are a favorite. I too am sad to this embosslit go... but I'm keeping mine forever! Love them with the touch of colored ink added. So pretty! hugs.

Lesley said...

Great challenge this week Nance! Love that inspiration photo. Your card is so pretty with those flowers...they do pop and the wood grain is fabulous.
Hugs,
Lesley

Marisa said...

Loving those flowers and how you used the sketch and the debossed side of the flowers. Well done all round :)

Ann Schach said...

Beautiful card, Nance! I love the flowers against the woodgrain! This is a great little embosslit, which like everyone else, I will also be keeping!

LeAnne said...

Super pretty, Nance! I think your choice was lovely for the challenge!

Narelle Farrugia said...

Nance - this is beautiful! I love the effect of the die and had to look in my catalogue when I saw this card to see if we have it as well - I've overlooked it for the past year. You've showcased it so well - I now need to buy it. Thanks for having me play along this month!

Christina said...

Those embossed flowers are so pretty and go perfectly with the woodgrain! Great use of the sketch.

Anne Marie Hile said...

Nance, I don't just love....I LOVE this card! Thud! That was the sound of my jaw hitting the desk when I saw it. Absolutely gorgeous colors, textures...layout...ugh, I could go on and on. I always love your cards but this one is in the Top 10 of all time. :) Have a happy day, my friend! Hugs!

Tara Bilbao said...

I love this clean beautiful card Nance. So Lovely with those flowers! Your color combo is just scrumptious:)

Heidi said...

Nance, such a great theme and perfect inspiration as we honor our mothers!! Your card is beautiful with those bold embossed flowers and what a great technique idea to sponge directly on the embosslit. Love how pretty they look!! I also really like how you added pearls sporadically throughout the card. What a fun look!

Jenn Picard said...

Such a beautiful card! Fantastic layout lovely embossed flowers and the colour combo is yummy! You did such a fabulous job with this challenge and so perfectly recreted the feel of that photo. Thanks for the fantastic challenge this week!

Margaret said...

You created a beautiful version of the inspiration! Love the pearl centers on the pretty flowers and the whole card is just so perfect!

Me, My Stamps and I said...

Simply Darling !!!!
great colors and love the used of pearls around your card.I just siomply need to cased it for my Consider it cased week.
Tfs:)