Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Embossed Color Blocking {CCMC189}

Happy Thursday, friends, and welcome to another week at Create with Connie & Mary!  This week it's a color challenge and everyone loves a color challenge, right?!
Gosh, it's been a long time since I've used Chocolate Chip!  Ever since Early Espresso came along, I have barely touched my stash of cardstock.  Luckily I still had a bit laying around and that was all I needed for what I had in mind.  I was inspired by a card I saw on Maille Belles blog using a color blocking technique. Here is my card:


I'm not sure I like it all that much but I was experiementing, lol!  I cut several strips of cardstock at funny angles and attached them to a piece of cardstock.  


and here's what it looks like on the back, showing the piece of cardstock holding it all together:

I trimmed it to the desired size so all the edges were even:


and used one of the Framelit Labels dies to cut my window.  Next, I ran the whole piece through the Square Lattice embossing folder on my Big Shot.  Then I stamped a piece of scrap vanilla with a sentiment from Sincere Salutations and layered it under the window.  Here's a close-up:

You can see that the sentiment is below the main panel.  I love how the Framelits let you cut anywhere on your cardstock! I finished it off with some Lucky Limeade organza ribbon and a Lucky Limeade designer brad!

I would be interested to hear what you think of this technique and my card!  Be sure to check out the rest of the Design Team creations over at Create with Connie & Mary.  I hope you will play along with these gorgeous colors...I can't wait to see what you make!  The challenge will close on Wednesday, February 22nd at Noon (EST).
Photobucket
Supplies 
Stamps: Sincere Salutations, Kindness Matters 
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Melon Mambo classic ink 
Paper: Chocolate Chip, Melon Mambo, Lucky Limeade, Very Vanilla cardstock 
Extras:Framelits Labels Collection; Square Lattice embossing folder; Lucky Limeade organza ribbon; Designer Brads In Color; Adorning Accents embossing folder

28 comments:

Amy Gehman said...

Your card is fantastic! Thanks for the pictures on your steps to create it...can't wait to case this! I love the embossing after the piecing and the label "window"...I can see so many card options with this technique. Thanks for sharing!

Deb said...

This is wonderful! I love how you kept it real simple and let the colors and textures steal the show! And what a great way to use the framelits! Love it!!

Connie Babbert said...

I love the framelit window and all the angles...great job with the color challenge on Create with Connie and Mary! (And...I'm the same with my Chocolate Chip...used to be a staple in my stamping, but Early Espresso has taken over!)

Kim S said...

Oh I love your angles!!

Carolyn said...

Wow, this is a great card. Love the design and colors. going to try this, thanks for sharing.

Marisa said...

What fun color blocking and fabulous touch with the EF.

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance I love your peek-a-boo window card! Love the soft stampin with the sentiment. Your colors look great and I really like the veriation on the pieces.... but when I saw the back... I am such scrooge, even with scraps, I would never use DSP for a backing... you almost stopped my heart girlfriend. Hugs

Anonymous said...

Fabulous technique, very creative.

Thanks for sharing!

Patti said...

I liked this the moment I saw it. Your colors are great but I really love that technique. I see a lot of possibilities with this. TFS.

Christyne said...

LOVE IT!!!! I think it's just PERFECT! What a fun technique!

Lrsmith said...

I love the color combo and the technique is fun...thanks for sharing.

Nancy said...

Great card Nance, love the technique and the colors are "fab" together. I laughed when I read Diane's comment cause as soon as I saw the back of the angled strips I thought exactly the same thing, (I would never use DSP for this, I'm too stingy! But love the card!

Kathy Reeves said...

What a beautiful card - it's so simple yet stunning!

Ruthie said...

i LOVE this card!!!! going to give this tech a try!!!

Margaret said...

I love it! Embossing all of the strips together really has a great effect and the frame was such a wonderful idea! Such a great way to use up scraps too!

Linda Callahan said...

I love your experiment! It came out terrific! And I agree on the colors - I use Espresso so much more than Chocolate Chip now!

Julie Marshall said...

Great technique Nance. Love the butterfly background!

Ann Schach said...

Wow! This is fabulous! The color combination is yummy! You are so clever!

Lesley said...

Very cool Nance! I want to try this! Love the stamped butterflies. This is so pretty.

LeAnne said...

Based on the comments, I'd say this was a hit! Very cool creation!!!

carole centers said...

This is a great card. Thank you for showing how it was done. It doesn't look as tho it is pieces - you are very good!!
TFS

Lisa Martz said...

Greatest way to use up scraps that I know of! I think this is really stunning...the bright lime and mambo with the chocolate. I like the window/greeting. I will have to give this a try sometime! Great working with you on Create!

Lynne said...

I really like the card. Embossing after placement is a neat technique.
Simple yet fun with the colors. Thanks for your ideas.

Anne Marie Hile said...

This color combo reminds me of a pastry...which sounds really good right about now. Haha! This is such a cool technique you shared. I really like the angles of the layers. I can't wait to try it out. You always share such fun ideas, Nance! Hugs! :)

Carrie Sampsel said...

I love that technique and I don't think I've seen it before. I may have to give it a try. Cute card!!

Sylvia/Georgia said...

LOVE the technique and the card! I'm on my way to CASE it for a birthday card I need to send today. Thanks!!

Debbie Henderson said...

I really like your color blocking technique...so cool. You've got patience!

Kristin Moore said...

How could you NOT like this card?? So many unique details make it a winner for sure! Love how the strips are textured to make a single piece and the window punched through is perfect for that sentiment and butterflies! Love the colors and ribbon too. See, Nothing not to LOVE!