Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Whooo's Got a Great Sketch? {PP53}

Happy Paper Players Sunday everyone! First, I have to take a minute to congratulate Lesley, our fearless leader, on the one-year anniversary of The Paper Players!!  Lesley is a talented and inspiring leader who values teamwork and has built The Paper Players into one of the best challenge sites in blogland!!  I am so honored to work with this team!

This week Lesley is also our hostess and has designed an amazing sketch for you!  The sign of a great sketch, I think, is how it makes everything come together with ease and this sketch does just that!
This is a great sketch to highlight designer or pattered paper as I've done with a sneak peek of the Just Add Cake designer paper coming July 1st in the new catalog.  I took the color scheme for my card from the colors in the paper: Peach Parfait, Wild Wasabi, Baja Breeze and So Saffron--love 'em!  I needed a birthday card for our nephew and he loves the Owl Punch so with a great sketch, some cool DSP and a punch in hand, my work was almost done!
Over the Peach Parfait base, I layered a piece of So Saffron cardstock that was stamped in the same color with the Woodgrain background stamp. 
Three pieces of [upcoming] Just Add Cake DSP were layered on top and the Peach Parfait polka dot piece is just the reverse side.  The edges were roughed up with a distressing tool.
 Next was my sweet little Peach Parfait owl!  His belly is another pattern from the Just Add Cake DSP and I've perched him on some Baja Breeze branches punched out with the XL Two-Step Bird Punch.  The whole focal piece rests on a 2 3/8" scalloped circle punched from Wild Wasabi that was stamped with the Woodgrain stamp.
The banner tag is a part of the Petal Cone die [still available] and was stamped in Wild Wasabi with a sentiment from the [retired] hostess set, Something to Celebrate.
A few scrap pieces made a little border for the inside and a stamped Fox & Friends owl on the border.  The owl was inked using the Rock-n-Roll technique with So Saffron and Peach Parfait.  So, what do you think of my nephew's birthday card?  I'd love to know!

Be sure to hop along to the rest of the Design Team for some inspiring creations.  Big hugs and thanks to Cindy Beach our June Guest Designer--it's been great working with you Cindy!  The Paper Players Design Team are:
We hope you are inspired to get your craft on this week!  If you do, load up your creation at The Paper Players by Friday, July 1st at midnight (PST).  We can't wait to visit you! 

    18 comments:

    Sandra said...

    This card is just too cute, Nance! I love your googley eyed owl :)

    Nancy said...

    Oh my how adorable, don't ya just luv the paper? You-know-who is going to love this card and the owl is a great focal piece, I really like all the details and the way you explain everything, it's as if I'm reading a little story. And you're right it does look like a quick and easy sketch.
    Luv,
    Mom

    Lauri said...

    Oh your nephew will love this!!! I am loving that paper too!

    Christina said...

    This is perfectly adorable! Your nephew will undoubtedly love that little owl with the striped belly. The subtle woodgrain on the background is a great touch, too!

    Linda Callahan said...

    Whoooooo loves this??? Me! The owl is so cute and anything involving cake is wonderful in my book - even if it is designer paper :)

    Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

    Nance this little owl just stole my heart! How cute it that! You know your mom was right, it's looking like a CASE to me too! The colors and details are adorable and the woodgrain BG is the finishing touch. so glad I finally bought that stamp. Hugs.

    Anne Marie Hile said...

    Whoooo loves this card? I do, I DO!! I just love the fun colors and the mix of patterns. That paper has become my favorite from the new catty so far. The little googlie eyes are such a sweet touch and really bring that little guy to life. ADORABLE in every way, my friend! {Hugs!} :)

    Holly AKA KopyKat said...

    this is so fabulous, I love it

    Marisa said...

    Great mix of DPs and I just love his googly eyes and striped tummy :) Fabulous use of the sketch and that cute owl punch. I just made a card using him for tomorrow's post. Have a great day!

    Lesley said...

    Hi Nance,
    I love this DSP with that sweet little owl! His eyes are perfect too!! Thanks for your kind words...I am so proud to be a part of this team too!
    Hugs,
    Lesley

    Cindy Beach said...

    How adorable, Nance! You nephew will love this terrific and cute card. I do too! The owl is perfect with this DP, and I love your details of distressing and adding the wood grain BG. Fabulous take on the sketch!
    It's been such a pleasure to work with you this month.

    Ann Schach said...

    Adorable, Nance! Who could resist that cute little owl! I'm sure your nephew will LOVE it!

    Carrie Gaskin said...

    So cute! I love this DSP and sadly I have to say mine is still in the package. Guess I need to get it out and use it now with this great inspiration. I'm sure your nephew will LOVE this!

    LeAnne said...

    Absolutely adorable! I love your choice of papers and of course, that owl is delightful! HOOO wouldn't love it?

    Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

    Fantastic and fun! Lots of brightness and cheery colours! Hugs xxaxx

    jjcreations said...

    Love all these dots and colours, Nance. And I especially love the googly eyes! Perfect.

    Anonymous said...

    Very cute card. I love this little owl and your colours are gorgeous!
    Hugs Julie P

    jaydee said...

    Nance, you do adorable better than anyone I know! This card is no exception. The owl is adorable and I love him sitting on his little branch. Love the repetition of circles, too!
    Have a fabulous 4th
    hugs
    jaydee