Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Peace & Palms {PP75}

Hiya friends and welcome to another week with The Paper Players!  I am excited to be the hostess this week for a Holiday Hoopla theme challenge...only it's Holiday with a twist.  The challenge is to Create something Holiday with non-holiday stamps or colors...how fun is that?!  
My card isn't quite what I had in my mind's eye but I really wanted to show you what Christmas looks like in my part of the world:
We really do have palm trees in our yard and while it's too tall to hang ornaments on it, it does get decked out with Christmas lights every year!  Let's take a closer look:
I needed something small to decorate my tree so I used a standard-issue office supply paper punch to punch a hole and saved the circle it made.  I added a drop of Crystal Effects to each one and while it was wet, sprinkled Dazzling Diamonds on.  Faux glimmer brads...in any size you want!  I sponged some Bashful Blue clouds in the background and colored the tree with Stampin' Write markers in Certainly Celery and Lucky Limeade.  The rest is pretty obvious so I will just encourage you to pop on over to The Paper Players and check out the amazing work by my fellow Design Team members--rumor has it there's another palm tree on the DT:

The Paper Players Design Team
Tara Bilbao
  Rita Wright (December GD)
I hope you'll consider playing along with our Holiday Hoopla!  If you do, please link up your crafty goodness to The Paper Players by Friday December 9th at midnight (PST).  I can't wait to see what you do with this theme!  Thanks for visiting!


Photobucket

supplies:
stamps: plant hope, comfort & joy, creative elements, sanded [retired]
ink: bashful blue, early espresso, crumb cake
paper: crumb cake, whisper white, early espresso; brights & subtles pattern designer paper stacks
xtras: ovals die; stampin write markers (certainly celery, crumb cake & lucky limeade); dazzling diamonds; crystal effects; daffodil delight pom-pom trim [retired]; office supply hole punch

15 comments:

Kim S said...

Perfect glimmer "brads"...thanks for the tip!

Patti said...

Love your "Christmas" tree. And that's a great idea for faux glimmer brads. TFS.

Pam~ said...

This too cute! My daughter wanted to use the palm tree for her Christmas cards. I will have to show her your fabulous card! Thanks for the inspiration!

Christina said...

This card gave me such a big smile! Your glitter "brads" make perfect ornaments. I do the same thing when I don't have the right color of gem for a card. Hope all is well in paradise!

Linda Callahan said...

Most creative Christmas card ever! Love your challenge and the design you came up with is wonderful! I can hear Jimmy Buffet singing in the background!

Rita W said...

Nance, I love it! It is totally perfect for you Floridians for Christmas! Very clever to make your own faux glimmer brads! It was a very fun challenge and I might have to make a second card just to see what I can come up with! :) Hugs!

Marisa said...

How cute!! I can just imagine the decked out palm trees :) Great idea and wonderfully done!

LeAnne said...

Sweet! I always wondered what Floridians did about decorating their palm trees! LOL! Love your faux glimmer brads, too!

Lesley said...

Awesome! I thought those were real glimmer brads! Wow! This is Terrific challenge Nance!

Tara Bilbao said...

Nance - This is way too clever. I love the bright colors with the crumb cake - very Tommy Bahama. We have those decked out palm trees here is So Cal as well. I love that you made a card with one. FABULOUS!

Anne Marie Hile said...

Homemade Glimmer Brads?!! What? Whoa! Hold the phone! Ok, this is a cool tip and always ensures that you have the right amount of the colors you need. I can't wait to try this out! The pom pom trim is a sweet touch, too. I just love that we were on the same wave-length this week channeling "Christmas in Florida"! Hee Hee!

Hope you had a fun weekend, my friend! Thanks for a super-fun challenge this week. too. BIG hugs! :)

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance how cute is that Christmas palm tree! LOVE your faux glimmer brads too... that is going to keep many pennies in my pocket! Hugs.

Nancy said...

Nance you couldn't have come up with a better card for a Floridian! Love the tip on the glimmer brads, they make me think of gum drops too. Love the colors you used and the subtle clouds in the background, very cute.
Luv,
Mom

Cindy Beach said...

Nance, your super fun card caught my eye right away! Love your creative use of the palm tree with lights, and now we've all learned an easy technique too!
Thanks for sharing your talent with us!

Margaret said...

Your card was just what I needed today! It's pretty chilly here!!
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the homemade glitter brads!!!! Beautiful nontraditional holiday card!!!