Pages

Monday, August 31, 2009

graveyard skull & PPA5 (#2!)


Are you a fan of Edgar Allan Poe? Do you love baroque gothic motifs this time of year? Then you probably love this stamp set like I do! From the Crypt has the most amazing artwork. Pumpkins and skulls, ravens and spiders and bats, oh my! I paired this gothic beauty with the cast-a-spell designer paper for an erie delight. I started with this layout from the amazing Mary Fish. Using a base of old olive cardstock (4 1/4 x 11") folded at the top, I layered a 4 x 5 1/4" piece of basic black cardstock and dressed it up with 1 1/8 x 5" strips of the DSP. I cut a 3" circle of pumpkin pie & vellum cardstock with my circle nestibilities. Then, using my stamp-a-ma-jig (love it!) I stamped the fantastic skull on the vellum with basic black ink. Layering the vellum over the pumpkin pie dilutes the orange a bit but still gives a much needed punch of color. And the vellum just makes the skull look even more erie... Can we just talk about the artwork on this stamp for a minute? Look close and you will see ghosts rising from the ground, ravens circling, crooked old tree branches--this set is not for the faint of heart. It's perfect for the halloween season! A strip of basic black gets a simple sentiment from Teeny Tiny Wishes inked up in whisper white craft ink. Finally, three "chrome" studs (jo-ann's) break up the 3 panels and give just the right amount of shine. Oh, and I almost forgot the spiders crawling up the inside...right onto your arm...eeek!


supplies:
stamps: From the Crypt, Teeny Tiny Wishes
paper: old olive, basic black, pumpkin pie, vellum cardstock & cast-a-spell DSP

ink: basic black, whisper white craft
extras: circle nestabilities, "chrome" spot stickers (jo-anns)

6 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

Wonderfully creepy!

Nancy said...

Love the color combination, especially like the creepy spiders inside! Good job.
NLempinen

Pals Paper Arts said...

Very creepy ... but oh so cool.

On behalf of the Pals Paper Arts design team, thank you for playing @ PPA!

Unknown said...

great card, love the paper!!!

Denise said...

This is the PERFECT spooky card! I LOVE the goth vibe! Thanks for playing (twice!) at PPA and CONGRATS on being a PPA pick this week for your adorable pumpkin entry! Girl, you are rockin' the PPA!! ;)

Margaret Moody said...

I love this card, Nance! Spooky, but oh so fun! I love the surprise of the spiders inside, too!