Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2017

You Light up my Life, Valentine PP330

Hi friends!  This week at The Paper Players my sweet friend, Claire has a theme challenge perfect for the first week of February!
Valentine's Day...hearts, flowers, candies and....light bulbs?  LOL.  When I design a card, I try to resist my first impulse because...well....I want to push myself to come up with something else.  My first thoughts were hearts or cute critters but then I saw the hostess set, Pun Intended, sitting [very dusty] on my shelf and an idea was born...lightbulbs!
Honestly, the single light bulb was the first thing I did for this card.  It was heat embossed in black on shimmer cardstock, fussy cut and colored with Daffodil Delight and Melon Mambo [retired] Blendabilities. From there I cut a piece of Smoky Slate cardstock with my Stitched Shape Framelits--using the largest square to cut a rectangle.  Check out this tutorial for those directions!  Continuing my love for tone-on-tone background stamping, I stamped some more lightbulbs in a somewhat random pattern in Smoky Slate.
Then I needed a card base to put this on and liked the way it all popped on Basic Black.  But Basic Black by itself was too plain.  I didn't want a lot of background pattern to detract from the focal piece....hmmm....what to do?  I got the idea to use my sunburst Thinlit as a ray of shining light and keeping with the punny sentiment.  Some [retired] DSP with a subtle black pattern was just the  variation I needed to add some interest.
A little more on the inside and this Valentine is perfect to give to our teenage (yikes, how did that happen?!) daughter.  Cute and sweet but heartfelt...just like her!

Be sure to pop over to the rest of the design team at The Paper Players and check out all the awesome Valentine ideas they are sharing.  I hope you'll play along with our challenge before it closes on Friday, February 10th at Noon (PST).  Thanks for stopping by!
The Paper Players Design Team 
Claire Broadwater
Nance Leedy
Sandy Mathis 

  


12 comments:

laurie said...

Love the pink with the black, and that awesome background! The inside is cute too, love how you finished it off. She will love it!

Have a great Sunday:)

Dawn Tidd said...

Great card, Nance! I love the background of all the b/w light bulbs on the Sunburst back. Your wonderfully colored light bulb "pops" right out on it. The inside is adorable too and I know it will be perfect for your daughter!

Brent Scheffer said...

I like the way the black and gray sunburst in the background says that the light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer! The embossing on the bulb socket is great too! Superb!

Claire Broadwater said...

Nance, I LOVE every detail of this sweet card! Your daughter will cherish it! The sunburst is genius! The tone on tone stamping is so fun and your coloring is perfect! Love the pop of pink! THANK YOU for rocking my challenge this week! I think it is fabulous that you stepped out of the box, My Friend! XX

Linda Callahan said...

This is amazing! Love everything about it....the background.....the light bulbs......so,clever!

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance this is adorable!.. Love the colors and muted background stamping on the stitched piece. The sunburst die cut is perfect to have a "glow"
going on there ... but the LOVE the floating hearts inside!! So cute! Hugs

Valentyna Komisarenko said...

Awesome card, Nancy! Gorgeous background, lovely inside and out.

stampwithsandy said...

Such a clever card, Nance! Love the adorable lightbulb with the punny sentiment, and your background stamping inspires me to give it a try myself. Perfect card for a teen!

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

I LOVE this card Nance - the layout is just great with the fussy cut bulb, the grey panel and the starburst behind. I have saved this one for a definite CASE - I think it is my favourite card with this stamp and a perfect valentine for a discerning teenager!

3treescreations@gmail.com said...

Super fun Nance! I HAVE to try the tone on tone stamping!!!

Jaydee said...

Nance, I love the simplicity of this card - it really lets your focal image ... well... shine :-) I love the way you cut around the Edison bulb. fabulous
hugs
jaydee

Claire Grantham said...

I love this card, especially the rays in the background. So clever. Clairex