Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Making My Own Edgelit

Hi everyone, just a quick post to share some new colors and new stamps with you!  I was totally inspired by this fabulous card my Mom made:
At first, I thought she used an edgelit to cut around the beautiful butterflies but no...she fussy-cut the edge!  How cool is that?!  The original idea came from Simply Stamped here (4th card down).  Awesome idea!!  So...I wanted to try it out with all Stampin' Up and here's what I made:
I am so happy with the results!  I used all the flowers from Betsy's Blossoms and a bunch of new In Colors.
All the color combinations are straight from the Color Coach.  This first one is so much fun: Gumball Green, Melon Mambo and So Saffron.  I stamped all the flowers onto Naturals White cardstock (sturdier than Whisper White), hand cut around the edge, sprinkled some Basic Rhinestones and added a strip of coordinating designer paper to the inside edge. 
To pull in a little color behind the sentiment, I adhered two pieces of coordinating ribbon behind the banner and added another rhinestone to the end.
I think this color combination is my least favorite but I was determined to test out the Color Coach suggestions!  Midnight Muse, Rich Razzleberry and More Mustard.  I think it might look brighter with Summer Starfruit instead of More Mustard...but that's for another day!
I'm disappointed that I didn't get a better picture before I sent this one off to my Mom because this color combination is definitely my favorite!  Straight from the Color Coach: Summer Starfruit, Baja Breeze and Elegant Eggplant.  Gorgeous together! 

So what do you think?  What other stamp set can you see using with this technique?  I'd love to your ideas!  Be sure to pop over to my mom's original post to leave her some comment love.  Thanks Mom, for the inspiration--it's even prettier in real life!  {wink!}

Photobucket
Supplies 
Stamps: Betsy's Blossoms; A Word for You
Ink: Gumball Green, Melon Mambo, So Saffron, Midnight Muse, Rich Razzleberry, More Mustard, Baja Breeze, Summer Starfruit and Elegant Eggplant
Paper: Naturals White CS; Designer Series Patterns Stack (Regals & Brights); Be of Good Cheer DSP
Extras: Basic Rhinestones; So Saffron grosgrain ribbon (ret.); More Mustard Scalloped Dots Ribbon; Baja Breeze Seam Binding Ribbon

23 comments:

Rita W said...

Very cool idea! Now I'm going to have to browse my stamps to see if I can figure out one that will work for this. I love the different color combinations and can't pick a favorite!

Nancy said...

Your edgelit cards are gorgeous, love the colors and shapes, but of course love the one you sent me the best. Gotta see what other sets will work well with this design. Thanks too for the shout-out!
Luv,
Mom

LeAnne said...

Very cool--I can see that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!! Your mom's card was a beautiful inspiration for your fun colorific card!

MaryE said...

As a recipient of one of these cards I can attest that they are far prettier in person (and they look dern nice here. Thanks Nance, you are the best!

Marisa said...

What a fun look and set of great cards. Wonderful colour combos too. Love that both you and your mom stamp :)

Linda Callahan said...

Ya know my mother has a Manhattan every day at 4 and plays slot machines - I didn't get this wonderful genetic card making thing! You ladies are fabulous - love all the designs - what a great idea! ( I bet Maile's mom doesn't play slots either :) I love all of your color combos - the possibilities are endless!

Jodi said...

What a great idea! I love the results. I'm going to look thru my stamps & see what I can come up with for this technique. Thanks for sharing!

D'Ann said...

Wow! I love the stamp set and will be making a few of these. The detail you put into your cards is amazing! Love everything. Thank you for sharing your talent.

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance they are ALL beautiful. I got to see the one for mom up close and personal and this one is gorgegous! Love all your colors and design works perfect for the edgelit effect.
I know when I using the new colors I have to "play" with them because sometimes just switching the colors of the elements around seems to look so totally different. Still struggling with starfruit though. hugs.

Ann Schach said...

Wow, Nance! What a fabulous idea! Your cards are soooo pretty! I will have to try this some time!

Margaret said...

What an incredibly fabulous idea!! Gorgeous cards too!!

Christina said...

The color combos on all of these are fabulous, Nance! Loving the fussy cut edge and will have to give that a try.

Dana F. said...

Hi Nance, you are one of my ten random blogs to visit from the Moxie Fab World Out and About blog hop. What a beautiful card set!! Love the color combos, too.

Jan said...

Great idea! Even a beginner stamper could have fun with this technique. Your colorful choices are so inspiring ... thanks for sharing. Love your team work.

Bonnie said...

What a fantastic card! I'm going to try this for sure!

jjcreations said...

Oh Yeah!!!! YOU ROCK!!!! I love how you've created your own edgeless! These are fantastic. They are all fabulous, but I'm partial to the butterfly ones because I love that new set. Thanks for the inspiration!

Linda said...

Oh my - these are amazing! I can't wait to try this technique and share it with everyone I know!!

Gisela said...

This is a fantastic idea, I will find a set I can use and try it. I think it's so cute you and your mom are crafters.

Lisa Rea said...

Beautiful!

Lisa - Scrappy Distractions

sassyb07 said...

wonderful cards, great colors ... I'll have to give this method a try too!
thanks for sharing
hugs, Valerie

Diane said...

Saw this on Pinterest and it is beautiful...am going to give it a try...love it!!

Katherine Clayton said...

Saw this on Pinterest . . . and I'm going to have to try this myself. GREAT job on all of the colorways!!!

very_inky_fingers said...

I am just seeing this now after finding it on Pinterest...just gorgeous. Wonderful idea and the colors are beautiful.