Pages

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Gratitude and Thanksgiving wishes for you! {CD86}

 

Hi all, can you believe it's the day before Thanksgiving?  Where has this year gone?  Well, it's Wednesday and that means another challenge at the Color Dare {86}: Pumpkin Pie, Cajun Craze, Wild Wasabi and Baja BreezeWow, at first glance, I thought "what am I going to do with that?!"  Then, I saw this fabulous wreath over on my friend LeAnne's blog and I knew I wanted to try my hand at it too.  Using the lid of a small storage jar, I lightly traced a circle in pencil onto my Naturals White cardstock.  The storage jar lid was handy but you could also use a punched circle as a template.  The circle is about 1 3/4".  The circle helped me line up the leaves, branches and twigs of my wreath to create an [almost] uniform circle instead of the ellipse I got the first time I tried it without tracing a circle! :-)


I stamped the small leaf from Autumn Days in Wild Wasabi leaving a little space between each one.  Next, I stamped the same leaf in Pumpkin Pie and followed up with Baja Breeze leaves.  I really like how the BB looks next to the PP & WW!  Lastly, the twig branch was stamped in Cajun Craze randomly around the circle.  A little Pumpkin Pie 1/4" grosgrain ribbon, secured with a glue dot, added a little dimension to the wreath.  As always, the hardest part was figuring out the pattern of leaves and colors--there were a few samples in the trash before I settled on "the one".


The color combination was looking so pretty (thanks Riley!) that I wanted to dress up the inside too.  I tried acrylic block stamping in Baja Breeze and I love the effect.  Just put your acrylic block directly on the ink pad and then stamp on your paper.  It gives a great background element.  Here, I used SU's block "D" and stamped off once before stamping the Baja Breeze onto the Naturals White cardstock.  I have tried this was some non-SU acrylic blocks (while I was waiting for the UPS man to bring my order with the blocks!) and I have to say that the SU blocks are better for this technique because the edges are rounded and give a soft stamped edge.  Other blocks have a right angle edge which gives a sharp hard edge to your stamped image.  Anyway....the wonderful Thanksgiving sentiment from Seasonal Sentiments, was overstamped in Cajun Craze with the other colors, Pumpkin Pie & Wild Wasabi, coming in on the leaf and branch from Autumn Days.

I wish I could send this card to all of you, dear blog readers and friends.  Your comments and well wishes keep me going and push me to be more creative with each post.  Since I can't mail one to all of you, this post is dedicated to you--thank you!  Whether you are celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow or not, here's to you and a wonderful weekend ahead with friends and family...cheers!

supplies:
stamps: autumn days; seasonal sentiments, woodgrain bg, thankful for
ink: cajun craze, wild wasabi, pumpkin pie, baja breeze
paper: cajun craze, wild wasabi, naturals white CS
xtras: dotted scallop ribbon border punch; pumpkin pie 1/4" grosgrain ribbon; acrylic block D

10 comments:

Marisa said...

Love your maple leaf wreath - makes a Canadian's heart sing LOL! Gorgeou scolours and the berry twigs are a great touch. Happy Thanksgiving to you - eat some turkey for me :)

Nancy said...

Beautiful card inside and out! Very pretty colors, the wreath is so pretty, love the little berries!

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance........ wow. Who would have thought to put BB on a Thanksgiving Day card???? YOU that's who!
What a fantastic color combo. Love it!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours and enjoy your "Pumpkin Pie"!

Linda Callahan said...

That little bit of blue is such an unexpected treat - beautiful wreath! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoy a few treats yourself tomorrow!

Christina said...

This wreath is gorgeous, Nance! The blue is so fun and unexpected, and I love the layered leaves and berries. The inside is a-ma-zing, too!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Hugs!

barb said...

just gorgeous!

happy thanksgiving,
barb

Glenda J said...

Love your wreath! Absolutely beautiful!

jjcreations said...

What an absolutely stunning wreath. It's so delicate and beautiful.

LeAnne said...

Well, isn't this pretty! LOVE the color combo and so glad you were able to make a wreath card!!! Love that acrylic block trick, too...such a perfect finish to the inside of your card!

Anne Marie Hile said...

Nance, absolutely gorgeous use of those colors and I LOVE how you used that set to make your pretty wreath. (I have used that set once since I purchased it, but now I'm inspired to try something new!) The inside is awesome! LOVE that acrylic block tip!

Wishing you and your family a very happy Thanksgiving! :)
Hugs,
AM