Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Clean-and-Simple Giraffe Sunset PP295

It's another week at The Paper Players and LeAnne has a fun Clean-and-Simple challenge for us...it's WILD!
Some of you might know that I design the challenge badges, like the one above, for The Paper Players.  Sometimes, I get hung up on an idea, like the giraffes, and can't let go! They are one of my favorite animals too so...while the challenge is to use any animal on a CAS card, I wanted to explore the giraffe silhouette idea.
This is a design file I purchased for my Cameo to use as party decorations for our daughter's school production of The Lion King Kids.  Those decorations will probably be another blog post at some point [wink] but for now, I thought they were perfect for LeAnne's challenge!
I used watercolor paper and my Aqua Painter to brush on yellows and oranges, specifically Hello Honey, Crushed Curry and Tangelo Twist.  If you look verrrry closely you might be able to see some Wink of Stella brushed on as well.  It needed just a touch of sparkle because...well...African sunsets are magical!
The bottom was brushed with repeating layers of Mossy Meadow--I'm really gonna miss that color when it retires!  I started with a very thin layer and let it dry before adding another layer of color.  I found that gives it a lined look that creates more dimension.  Now, before you think I'm extremely patient and let each layer dry on it's own....here's a tip....a heat gun [set to low if you have that setting] makes quick work of drying your watercolor!!  Woohoo, let's hear it for impatient!
The silhouette was longer than I needed so the end piece works really well on the inside.  Since I wasn't using watercolor paper on the inside, I used some random watercolor type stamps to duplicate a mini sunset here.  I think they came from Work of Art and Sheltering Tree.  I found this sentiment in a retired stamp set and it is absolutely perfect for the recipients of this card.  My in-laws have been married for [almost] 53 years and were high school sweethearts before that!  They are truly happy together.  They are also avid travelers and, for their 50th wedding anniversary, took the entire family on safari in Tanzania!  What a wonderful trip it was so this card, I think, will be extra special to them.

In fact...here are a few pix of the animal-of-the day from that trip:



 And one of those magical African sunsets....this one while in South Africa:

Thanks for stopping by today, friends!  Be sure to hope over to The Paper Players and check out the rest of the fabulous inspiration from our Design Team and then link up your creation before the challenge closes on Friday, May 20th at Noon (PST).

The Paper Players Design Team
Photobucket

16 comments:

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Nance this card is stunning!! It reminds me so much of a trip I made to South Africa some years ago - that Sunday makes me feel like I'm out on the savannah - absolutely gorgeous.

Nancy said...

Nance, your "wild" card is gorgeous, love the simplistic design, the images and the water coloring with a "Wink of Stella" can be seen. The colors are perfect, great card I know your in-laws will really like your special card.

stampwithsandy said...

Nance, this card really is stunning! Your watercoloring is amazing and perfectly accented by the beautiful silhouettes. Your Africa photos are awesome, too! Makes me want to go there!

laurie said...

What an awesome post and card! That background is stunning, love that silhouette,too!

Colleen Begley said...

I loved this card as soon as I saw it. One of those cards that make you saw WOW!

Brent Scheffer said...

The stunning watercolor background adds to the giraffe silhouette focus. Great card!

Jaydee said...

Nance your card is beautiful and so evocative of those wonderful veld scenes. Stunning. and.... your photographs took me back to some wonderful times. Thank you for making me smile.
Hugs
Jaydee

Linda Callahan said...

Oh yes Lion King songs are definitely running through my mind! This is beyond gorgeous! I love everything about it! And giraffes are such majestic animals - fabulous photos!

Kathryn said...

Nance, they are wonderful! Your watercolor background is just right and your photos from your big trip were delightful. Wow, what an adventure! :)
Have a great week ahead,
--Kathryn
Kitchen Table Crafter

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance this is my favorite of your cards for all time I think. I agree the card and the photos are majestic. That's what I call being up close and personal with nature ... gorgeous
Love the touch of Stella and the blending of the watercolor inks is very realistic to a sunset in Africa... Hugs.

LeAnne said...

I was SO thrilled to see the giraffe graphics on the PP badge, and even MORE thrilled to see your amazing creation! What a wonderful silhouette and your background is beautiful! I am sure seeing one of these creatures in real life is better than on paper, but I am willing to bet the memories that this card will evoke will be priceless!

Andrea W said...

The giraffes make a wonderful anniversary card and your watercolor background is perfect. Fantastic card!

Marisa said...

GORGEOUS card!!! Love the w/c and silhouette. I am DYING to go to Africa and do a Safari!!! Have read all of Wilbur Smith's books and he got me hooked - they live their life with passion. Perfect anniversary card :)

Laurie Unger said...

Beautiful! This really jumped out at me. Really like the watercolor background too!

Claire Broadwater said...

Nance, there aren't enough words to describe how much I LOVE this beautiful card! Every detail is amazing! Your pictures from South Africa make me long to travel there some day! Bucket List! I am speechless! XX

Colleen Begley said...

Very, very pretty Nance! So are your real pictures. I love the colors in your card and they truly look like the African sunsets in your picture.