Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Paper Players Color Challenge {PP46}

Happy Sunday, friends, and Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there!  Today I rejoin the gals on The Paper Players DT and it's good to be back!  Ann is our color hostess this week and she has chosen a beautiful color palette of Cherry Cobbler, Not Quite Navy and Early Espresso plus a neutral of your choice.
I couldn't wait to use these colors with another new stamp from the summer Mini Catalog...Sail Away...which was perfect for a masculine card:
As my neutral base, I started with Naturals White cardstock stamped with the Sanded background stamp inked in Early Espresso and stamped off once.  Naturals White is a great weight for the card base--a little heavier than Whisper White--and the subtle flecks are perfect for this nautical card.  A piece of Not Quite Navy cardstock was cut with the Two Tags die, stamped with Sail Away in Versamark, sprinkled with white stampin' emboss powder and heat set.  I also sponged a little NQN ink to the water for more depth.  Next, I layered Cherry Cobbler patterned paper, Early Espresso cardstock edged with the Spiral Border punch and some retired Botanical Gazette DSP that I ran through the Big Shot with the Kit #4 Texture Plate.
I brayered the texture plate with Early Espresso ink before running it through the Big Shot and that really helps define the de-bossed areas and make the texture pop!  I created my own tag for the sentiment from Something to Celebrate with a rectangular piece of Naturals White CS and the Corner Rounder punch.
Were you just as excited as me to see Baker's Twine in the Summer mini catalog?!  Oh, yeah!  Here, I've wound some Cherry Cobbler/Whisper White Baker's Twine and Early Espresso 1/4" grosgrain ribbon around a [retired] silver circle designer brad. 
Lastly, even a masculine card deserves a finished inside--although maybe not one with all the frills and layers I normally do!  Here, I inked Sail Away in Early Espresso and stamped off once before stamping on the card.  A simple, but effective, sentiment from Word Play was inked in Not Quite Navy and overstamped on the sailboat. 

So, now it's over to you...will you join us this week?  I hope so!  Check out the DT inspiration over at The Paper Players and then link up your project by Friday May 13th at midnight (PST) to be in the running for A Cut Above or even, Headliner.  Before you go, I would love to hear what you think of today's card.  If you leave me a little note, please also leave your email or blog address so I can return my thanks!  Have a great day friends!

the goods:
stamps: sail away; word play, sanded BG
paper: naturals white, not quite navy, early espresso CS; botanical gazette [retired] DSP; patterns DSP stack (regals)
ink: early espresso, not quite navy classic ink; versamark
xtras: early espresso 1/4" grosgrain ribbon; cherry cobbler/whisper white baker's twine; two tags die; spiral border punch; corner rounder punch; white stampin' emboss powder; texture plates kit; circle designer brads.

18 comments:

Pam~ said...

Handsome card inside and out! I love the added twine ... wonderful stuff! Great use of texture and layers too ... all around perfect Nance!

Christina said...

Such a fabulous use of these colors! I'm so happy to see you use this great image. With two boat lovers in the family, I'm loving the nautical themed sets in the summer mini! This is such a perfect masculine card, with just the right amount of texture and layering and a fantastic finish on the inside.

Happy Mother's Day to you!

Teena in Toronto said...

Very nice :)

Happy blogoversary :)

Marisa said...

Absolutely love what you've done here, Nance!! The sailboat looks fabulous embossed in white on the NofN and you use of the sanded BG and embossed panel along with the spiral punch is perfect. Great Father's Day card!!

Nance Leedy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nance Leedy said...

i love your card! happy mother's day!



love
arden

LeAnne said...

Oh, I always love all the little extras you add to your cards! Great creation!

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance this card is fabulous! I really like the cool details you always have... I'm so glad you describe them all too, [so I don't miss any]. I don't have the sanded BG stamp but everytime I see you use, I just must get it!
Love the baker's twine on the brad, and the brayer on the emboss folder is soooo cool. I have never done that either.... Every details is done perfecctly. Love the inside... Beautiful masculine card. Hugs.

Carrie Gaskin said...

I love this card. Such a great layout with all those layers and I love that you've used that tag, so perfect. Oh wait, that twine too? LOVELY! Hope you're having a great day!

Rita W said...

Love the texture on the Early Espresso! The tag and shading is awesome and I adore how you finished off the inside!

Anne Marie Hile said...

Nance, I dont know how you do it but you add the PERFECT details every time! Awesome mix of texture and layers! The decorated inside wraps it all up perfectly! Absolutely gorgeous!!! :)

Nancy said...

Gosh everything has already been said. I too love the card all the little details and how about adding a smidge more ink on the bottom to represent deeper water, great idea. Lots of layers, but beautifully done!

Lesley said...

Fabulous Nance! I love the card and the details! Brilliant idea using the tag!!
Hugs,
Lesley

jjcreations said...

This is awesome Nance. I love all the texture on the front and the sentiment you've created on the inside is fabulous.
Hugs,
Joan

Ann Schach said...

The texture! The twine! The brad! What a fabulous card, Nance! I LOVE it!

Chris Langenfeld said...

I love this card Auntie Nance! I really like the message and design on the inside!

P.S. How did you put that bar at the top of your blog where you can click on home or Recognition?


Brickcreator

Linda Callahan said...

Ahoy Matey - 'tis a mighty sea worthy vessel you have created - ship shape in every way!

None None said...

Stunning card, Nance! I love the way you used the colors and created that tag to showcase the focal image. The bakers twine is to die for! I'm adding it to my next order (can't wait!!!). May be adding Sail Away as well - it really seems to be the perfect masculine set.