Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

Owl Together: {CCMC110}

How stinkin' cute are these little lovebirds? Totally cute with the assistance of the 2-Step Owl Punch. It was one of the first items from the new catalog on my wish list. Love how it punches all the separate pieces so you can customize your owls. And SU's double-sided designer paper makes coordination a breeze! I love this new Play Date designer paper--so fun and whimsical! All the patterns featured here are from the same DSP--so cute!

The sketch is very loosely based on this one over at Create with Connie & Mary. Yes, very loosely based...but it's just supposed to be an inspiration, right? :-)

Since this is an anniversary card for my MIL & FIL, I wanted to make one of the owls a little feminine. I really wanted to give her a bow but the owls are so tiny, none of my ribbon is thin enough. I tried linen thread but that didn't pop and then it dawned on me...embroidery floss! So I made her a little green bow (it's almost old olive isn't it?!) with some red bling. Now she's dressed and ready for her anniversary dinner!

On the inside I repeated the Funky Four mushrooms coloring and stamping with Stampin' Write markers in Tempting Turquoise, Chocolate Chip, Old Olive and Real Red. These are perfect for my MIL because she loves to draw mushroom houses with our daughter!

I used a combination of sentiments here. The first is from a level 2 hostess set Occasional Quotes, which has many sentiments for use both outside and inside a card. Again, I colored it with Stampin Write markers. "Celebrate Today" is from a retired fave Starring You and was inked up in Tempting Turquoise. I already mailed this one otherwise I would show you that the coordinating envelope was stamped with the same colorful mushrooms--it's a little sneak peek for the recipient to what's inside. I hope this one brings a smile to your face...thanks so much for stopping by...Cheers!

edit 8/11/10: So excited this card was a Top Three choice at Create with Connie & Mary! Thanks ladies, I'm delighted you liked my card!

supplies:
stamps: funky four; occasional quotes, starring you; teeny tiny wishes
ink: chocolate chip, tempting turquoise
paper: play date dsp; so saffron, chocolate chip, real red & whisper white CS
xtras: 2-step bird punch (branches);
stampin' write markers in tempting turquoise, chocolate chip, old olive and real red; circle nesties; dmc embroidery floss; adhesive rhinestone from my stash

18 comments:

Hands On said...

Oh, I love this dsp. And those owls. Love them looking at each other and the bow...so cute!

Helen said...

How fabulous is this? If we don't get this punch, these papers and these stamps in our catty in October, I am going stamp my foot and sulk big time!

Christina said...

Oh my, Nance, those owls are the cutest! And how clever of you to add the embroidery floss bow and gem to the "girl"! Love it!

Tracey Parrott said...

Nance, I love this little couple and your color combo...I got this punch and havn't tried it yet, now I am inspired...wonderful inspiration!

Mary Brown said...

Just SOOO cute! I love them little owls! Thanks for playing along this week in the Create with Connie and Mary Thursday Challenge!

Deb said...

These owls are SO stinkin' CUTE!! Great job on the sketch!! And thanks for sharing your awesome work with us!

Jennifer Jackson said...

Great Card! Love all the little details you put into it... and that you designed the inside... I never think to do that!

Pam Speidel said...

Totally stinkin' CUTE!!! Love it!

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Adorable. I LOVE this punch and used only once so far and I CASED Jan Tink... but so so cute!
Love your little bow to make the female owl. Too cute. Good luck on your challenge.

Jamie Garity said...

I just love how you do the inside also. I am now a follower and I bookmarked you too! Can't wait to see more!

Linda Callahan said...

It's all in the details - and you are one wonderfully detailed designer! I just love the blingy bow on that owl!

Connie Babbert said...

These are SO darling! I love the "love owls" dressed up so nicely! Thanks for playing along with Create with Connie and Mary Thursday Challenge!

Carrie Gaskin said...

You are a rock star! This is so super cute. that DSP and that punch together - (muah! - that is the sound I use when sending a big kiss! - strange, yes but you know what I mean!).

Tara Bilbao said...

This is GENIUS! Such a sweet cutie-patootie card. I really love how you stamped the inside and the bow on the owl is just perfection. I am sure your MIL and FIL will treasure this card.

Unknown said...

Congrats on being one of the top three...such an adorable card!

Lisa Martz said...

What a very cute card! Love how you used it standard size.

Jen Carter said...

Those are the most adorable owls and I LOVE how you added the ribbon to the owl's head!! That is SO cute!!

Julie Marshall said...

Nance, Thanks for stopping by my blog and sharing this. It is just adorable! I would have never thought of embroidery thread...which I have TONS of. I will definitely be trying this out ;) Great idea!