Pages

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Best Birds for a Sketch PP337

Happy funday Sunday, friends!  Our sweet friend, Crafty Claire has a fabulous sketch challenge for us this week at The Paper Players:
I know I say this every month but I just love sketch challenges!  In my mind, the layout is always the most difficult part of the design so I appreciate a head start. 
I recently acquired the Best Birds bundle and though it would be perfect for this sketch.  I started by stamping a masked circle on the Crumb Cake base with the Hardwood background stamp.  To do this, I used the largest size Circle framelit to cut a mask from thin copy paper.  Once the circle was cut out, I laid the copy paper over my card base and stamped on top leaving just the area exposed by the circle for my stamped image.  Copy paper works best because it is thin and gives a crisp outer edge to your stamped image.
All the pieces you see here were stamped onto watercolor paper--with Early Espresso ink--and cut out with the coordinating Birds & Blooms Thinlits.  I colored each piece with a combination of [retired] Blendabilities markers and Stampin' Write markers.  My colors are Pear Pizzazz, Crumb Cake, Calypso Coral and Daffodil Delight.  I love the springtime look of this combination!  I tried to show you in this pic the liberal application of Wink of Stella on the birdie but that darn Stella is difficult to capture "on film"!  Trust me, though, she sparkles!
Just a touch of stamping on the inside and coloring with Blendabilities and Stampin' Write markers again.  I really like this stamp set.  The images are so pretty and detailed and there are a bunch of wonderful sentiments--love the fonts too!

Be sure to check out all the wonderful inspiration from the rest of The Paper Players design team--you will love the variety of creativity on display there!  Maybe you will join us before the challenge closes on Friday, March 31st at Noon (PST).  Thanks for stopping by, friends!

The Paper Players Design Team 


15 comments:

Kampin' Karen said...

This is a beautiful card, Nance. Stella is really difficult to capture on camera and even in real time, I find it hard to see. Your coloring is wonderful. Enjoy your Sunday.

Claire Broadwater said...

Nance, this is so gorgeous!!!!!!! I love every detail. I think I am going to have to purchase this set now. My mother would love this card. Polka dots and spring time-- Two of my favorite things. The woodgrain circle is the perfect background! Thank you very much for rocking my sketch this week! I agree, a sketch makes every thing easier! XXX

Linda Callahan said...

Wow this is one gorgeous card! And I'm with you.....I need a sketch!

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

I'm right with you too Nance - I love a good sketch! Looks like I might 'need' this stamp set too now, your card is gorgeous! LeAnne used it for a cute bluebird this week too - I might just cave!!!

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance this is so pretty. I love your stamped "masked" circle... very clever! The coloring is spot on and the inside is as cute as the outside. Hugs.

laurie said...

Such a pretty spring card...love the way you used the hardwood stamp for a circle!Very fun and creative.

Have a great week:)

stampwithsandy said...

This is gorgeous, Nance! I'm guilty of having this stamp set sit on my shelf since it came out and have only ever used the branch. I don't know why but the bird intimidates me lol! You've colored yours perfectly and I thank you for the inspiration!

Sue Deane said...

Your card is absolutely gorgeous! This is a great set. I love your coloring. I really like the way you masked the hardwood. I would love to copy your card, where did you get the dotted paper?

LeAnne said...

This is BEAUTIFUL! I love your yellow bird, and that background idea is wonderful! What a great way to use that stamp! Everything about this card shouts "spring" and I am hoping that it gets here SOON!

Valentyna Komisarenko said...

This is gorgeous, Nance!!! I love your play on the sketch. Lovely stenciling on the card base and that sweet bird.

Nance Leedy said...

Hi Sue--thanks for your sweet comment. The polka dot paper is retired Pear Pizzazz designer paper from Stampin Up but you could use whatever green you had in hand!

Brent Scheffer said...

The coloring and the layers are exquisite. The Pizzazz and Crumb Cake really show a great contrast with the Daffodil Delight of the bird! Awesome!

Papercraft Boutique said...

The layout of the elements is so beautiful and natural that it doesn't feel like there's a sketch (for challenge) behind the card. Love the coloring too!

Hideko

3treescreations@gmail.com said...

This is so pretty Nance! I agree, I LOVE sketches too!

Jaydee said...

Nance you rocked the sketch. I love the woodgrain background and now I NEED that bird bundle! All round - stunning
hugs
jaydee