Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Paper Players {16}: a sketch

Hi everyone and happy Sunday!  You're going to love the sketch Lesley has given The Paper Players to work with this week.  So versatile--for the right-hand boxes you can use any shape you want--leaves, butterflies, birds, circles, whatever strikes your fancy.  The important thing is to have fun!  


I choose to take an abstract route and use the sweet birdcages from the Aviary stamp set as my "shapes".

 
Cute?!  I was inspired by the colors in the Greenhouse Gala designer paper and chose to combine them for a fresh and slightly off-beat card: Pumpkin Pie, Pear Pizzazz, Baja Breeze, Crumb Cake and Whisper White.  The Stamp-a-ma-jig was a must for lining up the birdcages exactly...if a little wonky!  The birdcages are stamped in Crumb Cake and 3 little Basic Pearls decorate each one to mimic the dots of the Polka Dots impression folder.  I punched a spiral border on the Crumb Cake cardstock and used my aqua painter to wet the paper and distress it a little.  I wanted it to look like it had been torn out of a notebook.

The Pumpkin Pie base was run through the Big Shot with the Polka Dot impressions folder (aren't you glad I put down the Elegant Lines folder?).  The polka dots always look fresh and happy to me and fit the whimsical nature of Aviary to a tee.

Since it inspired my color palette, I used a bit of Greenhouse Gala paper for a Pear Pizzazz punch and wrapped the whole card front with some {retired} Baja Breeze grosgrain ribbon.  I adhered a piece of sticky strip to my ribbon, wrapped it around the card and just cut the end for a simple look.

The sentiment from Teeny Tiny Wishes was stamped in Early Espresso on Whisper White and popped out with the Modern Label punch.  I like the look of a watermarked image behind the sentiment so I inked a flower from Friends Never Fade in Pear Pizzazz, stamped off once and stamped onto the label.  I think it fills the area nicely and pulls in the 3rd color to this corner.

Be sure to head over to The Paper Players blog and check out all the lovely work of the other designers...and then link up your creation.  We would love for you to join us.

supplies:
stamps: aviary; teeny tiny wishes; friends never fade
ink: pear pizzazz, pumpkin pie, baja breeze, crumb cake & early espresso
paper: pumpkin pie, crumb cake & whisper white CS; greenhouse gala DSP
xtras: polka dot impressions folder; baja breeze grosgrain ribbon; modern label & spiral border punches; basic pearls; aqua painter; SAMJ


8 comments:

Nancy said...

Nance,
Adorable card, love the bird cages and I like all of them stamped on one rectangular piece at a "wonky" angle, very cute. Love the touch of pearls as well.

Lesley said...

I love how you used the sketch this week Nance! Those birdcages are so cute and work perfectly!! Great colour choices too!!
Smiles,
Lesley

Christina said...

What a fun color combo for these adorable birdcages! Love the way you stamped them and used the spiral punched mat like a notebook page. I also like the look of a watermark behind a sentiment, but I rarely remember to do it! It looks great!

Linda Callahan said...

You and Ann are going wonky this week - and I love it! When I look at this the next thing I see are the cages crashing to the floor, doors popping open and the birds going free :) This is so cute!

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance great card and take on the sketch. The little pearls are my favorite. Great job.

Carrie Gaskin said...

LOVE THIS! I really like the colours you chose and all those little details make this just POP off the computer screen!

Ann Schach said...

So many fabulous details! Love the pearls on the bird cages! Great Colors!

Tracey Parrott said...

Thanks for stopping by Nance! I am enjoying seeing your designs all over the place in blog land! This one is so cute with the pearls on the cages! Love the creative ways you set up your cards to take a picture:)