Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

Get your morning perk @ PPA24

This isn't exactly how I imagined this card would turn out but here it is!  I hardly ever put things on an angle!  In fact, I always tease my Mom for putting almost everything on an angle!  So she should like this card, right?!  Anyway, I had three objectives with this one: 1) make a card for PPA24 featuring a fabulous Margaret Moody sketch (PPA is my absolute favorite challenge!) 2) use up some of my "holiday" paper in a not-so-holiday-way and 3) use a stamp set that I love but haven't inked up in quite awhile.  While it isn't exactly what I saw in my mind's eye, I still like it.  I think this will be one of my go-to layouts.  The colors are taken from the Holiday Lounge DSP on the bottom: Ruby Red, Taken with Teal and Sahara Sand.  I think the DSP looks a bit like bubbles percolating in the coffee machine, don't you?  I just love the vintage percolator image and the play on words for the sentiment--both from the Puns From the Past (#111676) set.  I think I used this set just once previously but I love all the images.  Before mounting the stamp to the wood block I separated the sentiment from the image (it was below the image) and mounted the sentiment on the side of the block so I could used them independently if needed, as I did here.  Did you notice the bottom border?  Can you guess what it is?  The sentiment is resting on a pretty big hint.  Yes, it's the Curly Label punch (#112208)!  I punched out 4 of them from my Ruby Red CS, lined them up side-to-side and taped them together.  Then I just attached them to my DSP as usual with any other border.  I've seen alot of cards in blogland using a similar Fiskars punch but since I'm trying to stick to only SU products, I thought I would try to match it.  Cool, eh?  For the sentiment, I punched a 3/16" hole with my crop-o-dile in the side of the curly label then threaded my Kraft taffeta ribbon {love} through and tied a knot.  I like the effect and thought it dressed up this otherwise simple card.  One other tip: Kraft ribbon is a fantastic match for Sahara Sand.  So there you have it, perfect with your morning coffee or afternoon tea or nighttime decaf.... 

2 comments:

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

LOVE your card, and how ironic that I'm using that same set in my card class tonight, however, your card is so very different. I LOVE the set myself and use often. Great choice of colors too. YOU are so cleaver using the christmas papers that go perfectly with the "percolator" feel - always think outside the box. Great Card.
PS: I love your 'slant' on this and great tip about removing the sentiment. I'll be doing that tonight!

Linda Callahan said...

I love how those coffee pots go with that DSP! Whoda thought??? You are so right about the bubbles - I miss those percolators (showing my age!) This is adorable - so glad you play @PPA!