Pages

Sunday, August 12, 2018

Cattail Sunset - PP405

Hi friends!  Today's post is bittersweet, I guess it's a sunset of sorts for me too.  I've decided to step back from creating for The Paper Players design team and this is my last post for awhile.  Our daughter starts high school tomorrow--how did THAT happen??--and I've become increasingly involved in her school and activities.  Also working full-time and trying to carve out family time means that most weeks I have trouble getting into my craft room let alone actually making something!  However, I can't completely leave my fabulous gal pals on the team so I will still work behind the scenes as our blog administrator.  I hope to participate occasionally but my blog posts will be few and far between.  That said....today lovely LeAnne is our hostess this week with a sunshine-y monochromatic color challenge:
To me, these colors were crying out for a sunset and sunsets make me think of silhouettes!  Luckily I just got an order of new-to-me dies from Simon Says Stamp (I blame my teammate Sandy for that one!) that included this pretty Cattail Triptych.  Take a look:
I used a piece of watercolor paper to create the sunset with ink pads and an Aqua Painter.  I've discovered the key, for me, to watercolors is to add layers of color allowing time to dry between each layer.  Pumpkin Pie is the base of the sunset, and because I don't yet have Mango Melody, substituted with Crushed Curry and lastly a So Saffron sky.  There's probably about three applications of color here which provides intense color and blending between each shade.  The triptych was run through the Big Shot on Basic Black cardstock and I used lots of dimensional trimmed verrrrry skinny to attach it to the base. The sentiment is from the Enjoy Life stamp set and reflects my feelings today as I write this post.
Inside, I used one of the brushstroke images from the Waterfront stamp set to mimic the setting sun.  Some silhouette images, also from the Enjoy Life stamp set, complete the look.

Be sure to check out the fabulous work of my teammates over at The Paper Players--maybe you will play along with us this week!  Stay tuned to The Paper Players for some fun surprises in the coming weeks.  Big thanks to all of you who follow me each week and even some who have been with my for years.  Knowing y'all are out there has kept me going as long as I have!  Until the next time...take care, sweet friends!
The Paper Players Design Team 
  

13 comments:

Amy O said...

This is beautiful, Nance! I'm sad to hear you're stepping down from the team at The Paper Players (you will be missed!), but glad to hear you won't be totally gone. However, I understand the reason why, and I wish you much joy as you spend time with your daughter. Those high school years go by so quickly! Enjoy!

Colleen Begley said...

Sandy, I will certainly miss your creative and beautiful cards here each week. Hopefully, you will have occasions where you still have some time to create. Be well and enjoy these high school years. Love the watercolor background. Your card is awesome!

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

The sun may be setting on your card Nance - and a fabulous sunset it is too! - but thankfully not on your time with the Paper Players; just a back seat for the time being. We are grateful for everything that you do and it just wouldn't be the same without you! I so hope you get to enjoy the best of both worlds, but especially make the most of Arden's high school years and your precious family time. I love your take on the sunset theme and fabulous interior too - just beautiful.

Jan Clothier said...

Oh Nance! This sunset is just a total stunner! What an amazing die but what you have done with it makes it really shine - and that's the whole package, inside and out.

LeAnne said...

Aw, we will miss your beautiful creations too....what a fitting card for today's challenge. It is just STUNNING....great use of these colors and that fabulous cattail die....I just love the whole thing, inside and out! Thank you again for all you've done and looking forward to continuing to see you "behind the scenes"! Best wishes to Arden too, as she starts this new chapter in her life! ♥

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance this is beautiful! Love the tri-color, tri-die cut layout. Beautiful inside too.
Sad to see you go from the PP team, but totally understand... Life sure gets busy especially with kids. ENJOY those years ... they go so fast.
I too am slowing down on many of the crafting frenzies and impulses! Or trying to anyway! Hugs.

laurie said...

We will miss your awesome cards!This is another beauty! But I'm happy you will still be staying on helping us out. Kids grow up too fast, so enjoy!!!

Linda Callahan said...

That is a beautiful diecut and one gorgeous card! Enjoy the time with your daughter..... she will be off to college all too quickly!

stampwithsandy said...

Sniff, sniff... So sad you're leaving the DT, but so grateful you'll not be altogether gone, Nance. As for your card, it's absolutely stunning. I love the shaded background, and that gorgeous triptych die. I had to chuckle when I heard I'd enabled you to go on a shopping trip!

Claire Broadwater said...

Nance, I must admit I will miss your weekly creations so much! I always looked forward to your take on each week's challenge! You are so talented and you will still be a part of our team. I hope you can join us often. As far as being there with Arden and family, that is so important. Those are days that you can never get back. ENJOY the journey! I love your gorgeous sunset and that cattail die is beautiful This card is just perfect! You will be missed, My Friend! XXX

Annie S. said...

I have to echo Claire's comments. You are SO talented and I, too, always look forward to seeing what your next work of art will be. I'm glad your still going to be behind the scenes! Time with the kids goes by so fast, I'm so happy that you're going to be able to spend more time with your daughter during her exciting high school years. Your card is beautiful, Nance, inside and out...as usual! Hugs, Annie

Jaydee said...

Nance, this is gorgeous. The black silhouette frame is fabulous against your beautiful background. Stunning card. We are going to miss seeing your wonderful creations in our DT gallery each week
hugs
jaydee

Marisa said...

Gorgeous card! It can be sad and tough to make these types of decisions and I have had to make them several times over the past six years. Teenagers make for one busy life LOL, but so worth the time you pour into them! Will miss your gorgeous creations, but hope you post the odd one here for us to enjoy. I have not stamped for three months as so much going on, Verve closing down, and a decision to get back into shape. Hopefully fall weather will make me want to stay indoors and do a bit of stamping ;)