Pages

Sunday, November 12, 2017

Frosty Night Forest PP370

Hi friends and happy Sunday!  It's another week with The Paper Players where I have the pleasure of hosting a color challenge:
Oh how I love the simple elegance of white-on-white cards, especially for winter and holiday cards.  The most difficult part of using a monochromatic color scheme is to achieve dimension without an additional color.  The die cuts in the Carols of Christmas bundle make this a snap!
 I knew the tree die in this set would be perfect for this color challenge and you know how I love to play with negative space!  Here, I backed the tree and night sky cut outs with some Dazzling Diamonds glimmer paper.  While still white, the glimmer paper really stands out against the plain white.  Adding texture with the Softly Falling embossing folder adds another distinguishing element.  Lastly I cut some snowy hills from cardstock Vellum for one more interpretation of "white".   It didn't show up in my photo but the edges of the hills are brushed with a Wink of Stella.  You may wonder why the sentiment appears to have a drop shadow effect.  That's because I stamped it first in Archival Basic Gray and when I didn't like the look of it, I sprinkled on some white embossing powder and heat set.  The result is a bit of a shadow which helps make the white sentiment stand out--I like happy accidents!
I used the tree die to cut out a stencil from some plain copy paper.  I adhered the trees to the inside with removable adhesive and lightly sponged around the trees with Smoky Slate ink.  The sentiment and deer were stamped with Smoky Slate. 

I hope you like today's card and feel inspired to play along with us at The Paper Players.  Do check out the rest of the fabulous inspiration from my teammates at The Paper Players!  Thanks for stopping by...
The Paper Players Design Team 

9 comments:

Nancy said...

Beautiful card, so elegant looking. I love your use of all the negative spaces for the sky, and the trees set off with the glimmer paper. The vellum snow banks are the perfect spot for your "accident" sentiment. Once again the inside is so nice, great idea to make a stencil of the trees and sponge it inside, just lovely (as usual).

Claire Broadwater said...

Oh Nance, this is gorgeous! I absolutely LOVE the glimmer behind the trees and sky! The inside is so pretty, too! WOW! This card will certainly brighten someone's day! I think the shadow in the sentiment is perfect! Such an elegant challenge! I adore white on white! Wishing you an extra special week, My Friend! XX

laurie said...

This is a gorgeous winter scene!Love the glimmer and all the white...so pretty.

Have a great day!

Annie S. said...

Wonderful wintery scene and love the use of negative space with the sparkly cardstock. Your inside is just as pretty and really finishes the card beautifully! Hope you're having a great week ~ Hugs, Annie

Jenny Engelke said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, Nance! Love the sparkle you've added!

stampwithsandy said...

What a great challenge, Nance! The gallery is already full of beautiful creations. And your take on it - wow!! Such a stunning card. I love all the different white papers you used and wonderful layers of die cuts. Hope you're having a great week!

LeAnne said...

SO pretty, and I love how you used the trees as a stencil for the inside! Your "insides" are always lovely!!!

Jaydee said...

Nance, this is gorgeous. The layers are stunning and the little cut outs add so much additional interest. A wonderful snowy scene. Great challenge, too.
Hugs
Jaydee

Nancy said...

Just gorgeous, love the negative space, the EF "snow", the moon, trees & deer! Clever girl making a stencil for the inside too.