Pages

Sunday, August 20, 2017

CAS Color for Birthday Blooms - PP358

This week at The Paper Players, the fabulously talented Joanne has a fun Clean-and-Simple challenge for us: Get Coloring!
 Like so many people, I find coloring very relaxing.  In fact, I saved time at the end of a busy work week just so I could color a project for this challenge.  I came home from work, poured a glass of wine and got busy coloring with my inks and Aqua Painter!  Ahhh.....relaxation.
 This big gorgeous flower in the Birthday Blooms set is one of my absolute favorite to color.  The lines on each petal give a hint where there should be some shading and no matter what color you use, it always turns out beautiful! I always admire the white embossed and watercolored flowers of my teammie, Deanne, and she is the inspiration for today's creation.  The bloom is embossed in white on some hot press watercolor paper.
I have mentioned before that my watercolor technique involves layers of color.  I thought you might want to see how that works for me as I colored this blossom.  Above is my first pass with color including Blushing Bride, Soft Sky, and Lemon Lime Twist.  I try to pick colors that are close to each other--think of how they might appear on a strip of paint colors.  So, the flower uses Blushing Bride and Calypso Coral, the background is Soft Sky & Pool Party, and the leaves...well, I didn't have a pair to Lemon Lime Twist so I just started with a light wash of color and kept adding depth with darker versions of the ink.
 I added a few more layers of Blushing Bride to make it true to the color.  Once dry, I started adding layers of Calypso Coral to achieve the final effect.  Where there are extra lines on the petals, I made sure to add a deeper color using less water for close to a full strength color.  Using the same technique as last week's flamingo card, I trimmed the sides of my main panel with the rotary cutter and fussy-cut around edges I wanted sticking out.  This is a Clean-and-Simple challenge so I didn't want to add layers but the plain card base needed a little detail.  I stamped opposite corners with the same blossom as my focal point in Soft Sky ink.
The inside is a very simple treatment of more blossoms and a fabulous sentiment from Watercolor Wings.  This flower is so pretty all on it's own just as a line stamp as you see here--it doesn't even need color!

I hope you've enjoyed today's card for our Clean-and-Simple challenge at The Paper Players.  Pop over and see all the gorgeous inspiration from my teammies.  Maybe you'll be inspired to join us before our challenge closes on Friday, August 25th at Noon (PST)  Thanks for stopping by!

The Paper Players Design Team 

13 comments:

Nancy said...

Once again a beautiful card. I really like your latest technique of cutting part way with the rotary cutter and then fussy cutting a bit of the image, it really helps make the image "pop" even more.
Thanks too for sharing how you blend the colors to achieve the realistic affect.
Great card

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Nance your watercoloured blooms are beautiful! I have a vision of you relaxing as you colour on a warm Florida evening - sounds idyllic! And you know I love the fussy cutting too. Just beautiful, my friend!

Cherie said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! Such a beautiful, stunning card! I love the shading you did and the partial cutout! TFS!

laurie said...

Gorgeous Nance! I liked how you explained how you did your water coloring too. Looks so perfect!

Have a great day!

JoAnn said...

This is Gorgeous Nance. I love how you colored that fabulous bloom, so pretty. TFS

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance,
What a gorgeous card. I love your coloring as always, and the touch of watermark blooms on the blue is a special surprise. I agree with mom about the faux 3D effect by cutting the design out at the sides.... another surprise. Of course the inside is just as pretty with a single stamping of the blooms. Hugs

Linda Callahan said...

I find coloring sooooo stressful.....but maybe if I could color like you I would relax! This is gorgeous!

stampwithsandy said...

Coloring and wine... sounds like a perfect evening! Obviously it was, because your coloring of this beautiful bloom is just perfect. Love the stamping on the soft blue background, too.

Claire Broadwater said...

Coloring and wine--two of my favorite ways to relax! I love it! Your card is gorgeous with a capital G! Your beautiful bloom made me smile! Your inside is always so pretty, too! I hope you are having a fantastic week, My Friend! XX

Jan Clothier said...

So very beautiful! I love this set too - in fact, I made two cards for this challenge and the other one used this set. I loved reading about how you'd coloured this. You do it so very, very beautifully.

Annie S. said...

If I drink wine and color, I always end up with unintentional splatters! Not the case with you...this is absolutely stunning. I like how you stamped the image on the background. CAS with lots of interest!

LeAnne said...

This is lovely and I can see why it's your favorite flower to color! LOVE the embossing and how you created the layers of color! Beautiful inside and out!

3treescreations@gmail.com said...

A STUNNER! I am loving all of this! Including indulging in a glass of wine or two :D