Pages

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Watercolor Wings Gate Fold {PP252}

Hey there friends, I hope you're having a great weekend.  Our family has been off work and summer camp since Thursday so we've been having a good time!  Oh how I wish the work week was 32 hours instead of 40.....sigh.  Anyway....this week at The Paper Players it's all about The Great Outdoors.  The amazing Ann is our host for this month's theme challenge:

From the first time I saw the Watercolor Wings stamp set, I've had the idea for a card with this type of fold in my head.  I was also inspired by this fantastic card from Stef Perry and the idea was born:
I wanted the butterfly to look like it landed on a fence or a barn door and thought the gate fold would be perfect!.  I used some retired Adventure Bound DSP for the "gate" but it could also be stamped with the Hardwood background stamp.  How many of you still have the Inspired by Nature stamp set with this big beautiful grass image?  I'll never sell mine and in Cucumber Crush, it made the perfect grassy border.  Although I didn't use any on my card, I took my color cue from the Cherry On Top DSP stack using Pool Party, Bermuda Bay, and Island Indigo for the butterfly with accents of Crushed Curry and Watermelon Wonder.
With all the elements in the center and the background stamping, it was difficult to figure out where a sentiment would go.  I debated whether I needed one but was able to make the sweet little Greetings Thinlits fit over the butterfly and open nicely from the center.  I was really pleased how well it cut and popped out from the new THICK Whisper White cardstock--no wax paper, no dryer sheets needed.  It worked like a charm!
The gate fold opens up to reveal the inside panel with another butterfly and this fabulous sentiment from last month's Paper Pumpkin kit.  I added some Watermelon Wonder dots to the sides to mimic the banner on the front of the card.  
This butterfly stamp set is sooo pretty.  At first I thought, do I really need another butterfly stamp?  But oh, this one is not like the others.  It's photopolymer so lining up each layer is easy-peasy.  There are three layers to the butterfly and each one is a separate stamp so you can create many color combinations.  I can't wait to experiment with some more colors!  One tip: I found it much easier to stamp the center body of the butterfly AFTER cutting it out with the coordinating Bold Butterfly Framelit.  It's easy to line up because it is completely clear and I found that I cut off part of the head or body if I stamped it before cutting.  

I am sure that the rest of The Paper Players design team have some amazing projects inspired by the great outdoors for you.  Be sure to pop over and check 'em out.  I hope you will join in the fun before our challenge closes on Friday, July 10th at Noon (PST).  Thanks for stopping by today!


The Paper Players Design Team


Photobucket

11 comments:

Claire Broadwater said...

Nance, this is spectacular! I can not begin to comment on all the beautiful elements! I love a gate fold card, but the butterfly opening to the inside butterfly steals the show!!!!!!! Just WOW! The woodgrain is perfect to showcase your work of art! XXX

Jaydee said...

Nance, this gatefold is genius with the butterfly - and the fact that you echoed it on the inside too really makes it special. I love the sentiment across the butterfly, too. Great card!
hugs
jaydee

Andrea W said...

Outstanding card Nance! The colors are wonderful and it really highlights the beauty of the butterfly.

LeAnne said...

Oh my, such a plethora of fun things to look at on this awesome card! So outdoorsy! Love the gatefold....the way you did the butterfly and the diecut sentiment...and the inside! So awesome that you used a great array of stamps, too! Perfect for the challenge!

laurie said...

WOW this is terrific! I just love all the stamping and details...such a great card for this challenge!

stampwithamyk said...

This is so pretty Nance! I love that designer paper and your stamping and layering is just perfect, love those butterflies!

stampwithsandy said...

Amazing card, Nance! Love the fun fold, and you were so brave to slice your butterfly and sentiment in half! So well done, and as always this inside of card is just as pretty. I don't own that grassy stamp but wish I do, it was perfect on your card front.

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance gorgeous card. Your butterfly is done beautifully, inside and out. I LOVE the Inspired by Nature stamps too! I JUST used mine this weekend! Love that grass.... of course I will never sell mine, but I've never sold any of my stamps! Hugs.

Nancy said...

Hi Nance,
Oh how beautiful this card is, love all the details of die cut circle cut out, word die, butterfly die, wowzer!
The colors are pretty spectacular as well and the card opening is perfect!

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

One word Nance: FAB-U-LOUS my friend! I just love the details on your card and the hidden butterfly inside. This card has such a great nature feel to it; love the grass too, I can see why this was a keeper!

Lisa Elton said...

This oozes summer and outdoors!! Wonderful card!